When it comes to figuring out how your fulfillment performance stacks up, it’s tempting to compare yourself to industry giants. But what happens when you try to benchmark your order fulfillment services against something a bit more realistic – namely companies that have order volumes and budgets more in line with yours?
Fortunately, it just got a whole lot easier, thanks to an eye-opening joint Internet Retailer/Amware survey of mid-sized retailers.
The 2019 study focuses exclusively on how mid-tier companies that ship 3,000 packages or more per month address everything from warehousing to free delivery. Just as important, it shares answers from your peers on questions you are probably asking about your own operation, including:
- Is your warehouse network sufficient to meet customer requirements for fast delivery?
- What are your top fulfillment-related challenges?
- Do you offer free shipping and, if so, under what parameters?
Survey respondents felt that fulfillment was extremely important to the overall success of their businesses (8.7 rating of a possible 10). But when asked to rate the performance of their fulfillment operations, a 7.31 rating indicated a healthy gap between where they are and where they want to be.
Other survey findings:
- More than half of mid-sized retailers take three days or longer to get orders delivered
- 55% still operate out of a single warehouse/fulfillment center
- And 33% believe that their current order fulfillment warehouse networks are insufficient to meet future requirements for delivery speed
We look forward to sharing more detailed data from the survey in upcoming blogs.
Meanwhile, if you’re curious to learn more, download the full study here.